Did you love Shirley Temples too? I thought they were the height of sophistication (those and shrimp cocktails). Neon red cherries in syrupy soda might not seem so appealing now, but homemade grenadine could pave the way to a grown-up version (or something you won't feel bad about serving your kids). It's a key ingredient in a lot of classic cocktails too.
This grenadine is easy to make and WAAYYYYY better than store-bought.
- 16 oz bottle POM Wonderful
- about 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vodka (optional)
1. Pour off half the juice so the remainder reaches the waist of the bottle (drink what you’ve poured off or save it for something else). Fill the bottle to the top of the next bulge, just below the neck, with superfine sugar. Screw the cap back on.
2. Shake fiercely until the sugar dissolves. It’s important to use superfine sugar, or this step will take all day. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the pomegranate molasses and vodka, if using. Shake to combine. Keeps refrigerated for months.
Note: sometimes I add a few drops of rose water too.